Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Thoughts on the Daily Office for 5/6/15:

(Wisdom 13:1-9; Romans 13:1-14; Luke8:16-25)

Today's readings do not bring the good feelings that I long for when I am having spiritual time.  In Wisdom of Solomon we read that there is no excuse for someone who admires the beauty of the world to not acknowledge its Creator.  Being that most of my friends are atheists or agnostics my first reaction is going to their defense "well yes there are plenty of excuses not to believe in God."  In Romans we read a command to be obedient to governments and their laws as they have their authority from God. One very brief overview of 20th Century history will quickly put a hole in that theology tire.  And lastly we have a number of things happening in the Gospel of Luke, Jesus denying his blood family and calming a storm, another miracle that seems to the modern rational mind quite far-fetched.  There is also the discomforting quote "For nothing is hidden that will not be disclosed, nor is anything secret that will not become known and come to light."  So what can I a lay person get out of today's readings?

First there is the feeling of discomfort, which is always the first step to growth of any kind.  I have learned that when I am uncomfortable with something, there is something inside me of which I am uncomfortable.  In the Book of Wisdom, I read it and at first feel "safe" from the judgement my friends and "others" might encounter for being so foolish not to see the image of a Creator in nature.  But, when I contemplate the words of this Scripture, both my rational and creative mind remind me how small we really are; and how infinite the Universe is.  Not only can I not comprehend how atoms and quarks interplay in quantum physics in a single speck of dust, but I cannot even conceptualize how the myriad of galaxies interact in our Universe that is still expanding.  For me, this Scripture points to me on how limited I am, how limited my view of "God" is, and how limited my perception is.  My hubris is laughably exposed.  My friends, and people who don't believe, recognize sometimes in the Universe what I fail to see if I focus too much on my conceived notions of God.  What I take away from this Scripture is a sense of humility and awareness that the bountiful beauty (and complexity) of the Universe is constantly pointing to "Something Greater," and I must be careful not to think because I have a theology I understand it.

In the Book of Romans my head is put against the wall.  I think I will do another blog post on what I think Paul is saying in the first part of this section.  I do believe Paul has the intention of Christians not causing an uproar or an insurrection via violence.  He was very aware that the Messiah's method of liberating God's people was not through the sword, and he participated in the conversion of citizens of the Roman Empire.  He saw that the early Church was interested in "conquering one's enemy" by nullifying animosity through love.  So what he says, though inaccurate to any rational standard has an important intention.  As Christians we do not take to violence as a method of changing government regimes.  His failed political discourse though is forgiven when we see his intention, "Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law...'Love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no wrong to a neighbor, therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law."  This is vital and so needed in our world today.  I know for me when there is political news I can get very angry, prideful, self-righteous, and all the wonderful platitudes of "love your neighbor as yourself," are burned in the furnace of my conviction of how right I am, and how wrong they are.  Paul is talking of a different approach; in this scripture he talks of honor, reverence, respect; qualities that are displaced by one's certainty of being right.  I take away from this Scripture, TRY to LOVE MY NEIGHBOR AS MYSELF, and start by revering, respecting and honoring them; open myself up to my neighbor.

And finally to my Lord, who I firmly believe would be a person who I would annoy and who would annoy me.  We see here him mention his "Christian" family values: "My mother and brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it."  I recognize my Lord in the breaking of convention, especially in those human conventions that unduly obligate us or separate us from others.  I do not think Jesus is giving the snub to his mother and brothers (though I am sure to them it still stung), I think he is extending the welcome and acceptance and benefits of family to others.  We also see Jesus calming the storm in this section.  The story is well-known, the disciples (like me) wake Jesus up who rebukes the storm and his disciples, "Where is your faith?"  After the amazement of seeing the storm cease, I think I would ask the question to Jesus, "so when exactly were you going to ensure that us and the boat did not go down?"  This story reminds me of the interplay I have between me and the Divine. "Where are you?" / "Where is your faith?"

No comments:

Post a Comment