Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Reflections on Theodicy: A Series of Laments, Protests, and Conversations on Theodicy. Part I: “Well I Wouldn’t Start From Here”



“Well I Wouldn’t Start From Here”

Earlier this year I was asked about my perspectives on Theodicy, which inspired me to want to write a series of reflections on suffering and evil.  Theodicy, of course, is the age-old question: “If God is good, whence evil.”  Theodicy comes from “Theo” or God and “dike” or justice.  When beginning to talk about God’ Justice in the light of human suffering and evil the most important question I think is, “Where to begin?”

I am reminded of a story when I was just a bit younger and riding on my motorcycle in Western Virginia.  I was a bit lost, and wanted to find a way to get back onto Skyline Drive (a beautiful drive along the Blue Ridge Mountains, I recommend it).  At the time I still had a flip-phone, so it had no GPS, and besides I was on a motorcycle so GPS would not have helped anyway. I stopped at a rundown gas/gift shop and humbled myself to ask directions.  I walked in and saw an older man with a brown and white beard, wearing overalls and a red flannel shirt, and after some short polite banter about my motorcycle and the weather I asked “how do you get to Skyline Drive from here?”  I will never forget how his response started, “well, I wouldn’t start from here

I feel that is the perfect line to begin this topic.  The questions of theodicy are so broad, and it can be approached in so many different ways we are bound to find ourselves disjointed with any systematic approach.  No matter how it is approached some will say, “Yes!! Finally! This is where I am at, and where I am coming from, but….!” While others will say, “What is he talking about?  He is not even answering the questions I have, but…?” 

In Theological Studies, I believe the branch of Theodicy to be different from other branches of theology.  Soteriology, Eschatology, Christology, Epistemology, Metaphysics, etc. all are very cerebral, they are academic.  Theodicy is different, because Theodicy has to do with suffering, and suffering smacks our souls hard with our fragility, our mortality, and if we let it, our humanity.  When we discuss Theodicy we are not asking lofty questions on the nature of Scripture or Virgin Births, but we are asking questions regarding human suffering; the pain of others, and inevitably our own pain.  We all encounter suffering in some way as human beings.  The other branches of theology can be discarded if one is not a Christian, but you cannot discard the experience of suffering from the human condition.  This makes Theodicy a very personal theology; we ask these questions mainly out of our vulnerability…and if we don’t, then we risk a very artificial theology when it comes to suffering and evil.

So where we do go from here?  I will start us on the Classical Approach…we will first head to the Book of Job.  From Job we will briefly explore suffering in Scripture and in history and God’s apparent silence.  We will look at Post-Holocaust Jewish Theodicy and ask the question: “Is God Abusive?” 

We will then continue with reflections on Jesus of Nazareth, the mystery of the Incarnation, His Death, and His Resurrection.  Finally, we will end with an approach to suffering from the perspective of Christian Spirituality. 

I hope in this journey you will allow yourself to get lost, as I often do…and then perhaps to have some hope, even if it may only be a fool’s hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment