Tuesday, January 16, 2018

On Calling (From the 2nd Sunday after The Epiphany)

1 Samuel 3:1-10(11-20)
1 Corinthians 6:12-20
John 1:43-51
Psalm 139:1-5, 12-17

This morning we read of very intimate passages regarding the phenomenon of God calling individuals.  In Samuel we read of Samuel being called alone in the dark, quiet watches of the night. In the Gospel of John we read of Nathaniel being called by a friend in the brightness of day.  We see in Scripture and in the lives of the saints that callings from God take on many different forms.  We know that there can be collective callings and individual callings.  Collective callings being what a people are being called to, individual callings of course pertain to the individual.  While, I think it is important to remember collective callings, it appears the Scriptures today focus more on individual calling, so that is what I will focus on today.  And when we talk about individual callings in our faith tradition, we have a wide assortment of how those come to take place: We have the callings that take place when persons are young and innocent, such as Samuel, and St. Mary, the mother of Jesus.  We have calling take place when people are old and wise such as Elizabeth and Zechariah in being parents of John the Baptist.  We have callings in the cynicism of middle age, such as Nathaniel (“Can anything good come from Nazareth?).  We see callings come to the wealthy or established, such as Isaiah and Solomon; calling come to the poor, such as Amos, the Holy Family; calling comes to those who seem to be lost in life such as Abraham and Moses.  Calling even comes to people who have little faith, such as Sarah.  Calling is unpredictable, it is out of control, because, much to the disdain of theologians and religious authorities, the Holy Spirit is out of control.  We have no way of knowing, when and how calling comes, but we do know that it happens at God’s will.

If I were to define an individual calling, it would be this: I understand a calling from God to be, a salvific and redemptive initiative by God alone, into the life of the individual, with the intention of bringing one back and moving one forward to that state for which the person was created. In other words, a calling is God’s way of saving us from the world and from ourselves.  I don’t believe we are ever called to great tasks per se, we are called to be ourselves, the way God created and intended us to be; it just so happens that in doing that we do great things! 

In study and experience, I know callings from God to take on many different forms, but I am most intimately familiar with how calling took place in my life, and I will use my experience as a way of talking about this spiritual phenomenon.  First, I want to say that as Episcopalians, I love the fact that fundamental to our tradition is the practice of having Scripture show us every Sunday the experiences our ancestors had with our God and their faith throughout time.  We read every Sunday, how God acted in their collective and individual lives.  And I think we get a lot out of it because we can relate to it most of the time; because we believe God is still very active today.  While Scriptures teach us how God acted in the past, as Episcopalians, we believe God is still active in this world; we expect God to act, and we expect God to continue to speak to His People.  I want to say that because while my story might be unique to me, it is not unique to our Church.  Stories abound in our communities of faith of God calling, of God acting, of God saving, and I think we benefit sometimes from hearing those stories.

My calling to be a Deacon has been an unexpected one.  Mainly because until four years ago, I did not even know what a Deacon was.  But, also because the life I would be called into was so different from the one I was living.  In my previous life, I was an international flight attendant for 10 years, and I was based out of Newark, NJ.  Most of my flying was to Europe, but occasionally I would fly to Asia, either through business or for vacation.  While starting out flight attendants don’t make much money, by the time I left I was making a very good wage, and I know of some 20-year flight attendants who, if they worked hard, could make 6-figures.  I was financially stable, I got to see the world…to which I can say I recommend sunsets in Rome, taking a bike when travelling in Amsterdam, seeing West End Shows in London, and I can recommend a very great baked potato place in Edinburgh if you want to eat cheap for a night.  From all accounts on the outside I had it together, however there was this “tug.”  And it was a tug that went beyond a mere existential angst.  It was this unsettling longing that I could not shake; it would not go away, and I sat doing nothing for a couple of years with it.  Luckily after those years, I moved to New Hope, and my priest at St. Philip’s, Michael hooked me up with Holy Cross Monastery.  And while there in silence, and in talking with the Brothers, I started moving in a direction toward ordained ministry, even though I was pretty sure I did not want to be a priest; it just was not me.  Michael talked to me about being a Deacon, and then he had me meet with Archdeacon Pam about the Diaconate, and the rest is history.

From my experience of calling, I can say this…it doesn’t go away; it may take on different forms, but if we are being called to our completion in God, and I believe we are, then calling does not really ever go away. A calling is not a temporary wish or whim, which can explain why the Church makes the process to be ordained such a long one.  I also want to say that through the discernment process and through this process of formation as a whole, I never was alone.  I had The Brothers at Holy Cross; Michael, my priest; Archdeacon Pam; I got a spiritual director who I have had now for three years.  After almost dying in a motorcycle accident, the Bishop ensured that I saw a therapist to process that; I have had Nancy as a mentor.  What I want to convey is that in calling, while the specifics might be individual, the process of living that out is communal. 

So if you feel a tug in your soul, but you don’t know what to do with it, I want to remind us all that we have an invaluable asset here, Nancy, our priest.  In the day to day of parish life, we can sometimes forget she is a trained spiritual director; she is trained to help persons in their faith journeys.  Also, if you feel you have a calling that involves outreach, but you don’t know how to live that out, I am available.  Helping the Church: helping bishops, priests, and laity go out to be Christ in this broken world is precisely what I am being ordained to do, so please talk to me to see if we can flesh out ideas and vision that you might have.

But Calling is not easy. From our Scriptures today we see Nathaniel, who is thought to be St. Bartholomew, accepts the calling, and is made one of the apostles.  He goes through the journey with Jesus with its ups and downs, and eventually he is martyred for the faith by being flayed alive.  There is actually a pretty gruesome sculpture in Milan with St. Bartholomew as just bone, muscle and sinew, holding his skin around him like a sash.  It is rather disgusting…but fascinating.  In Samuel’s story, one of his first tasks in his calling is to prophesy against his mentor Eli, foretelling the destruction of Eli’s family.  I am quite thankful my calling has been a bit less dramatic, as I am sure Nancy is too.

In going back to talking about my calling, I also want to say it has not been easy, not to the extent of the saints, but it has been difficult.  I had to give up financial security, I had to give up my career…deacons don’t get paid by the Church, so we need a secular job to pay the bills.   And to be honest there is the difficulty of growing into a Church structure that can be dysfunctional at times.  At times, I, along with my family and friends and acquaintances have questioned why I would give up picnics under the Eiffel Tower for being with persons at Code Blue or caring for patients with a diagnosis of “Intractable Diarrhea.”  I can say, I don’t have a rational explanation, only this: Finally, it is not a matter of reason, but one of love.  It just so happens I very much enjoy spending time and building relationships with persons at Code Blue, homeless and those with a home.  And it just so happens, I get fulfillment from caring for patients with all sorts of diagnoses.  The one in particular with GI problems, was very thankful how I treated her with respect and dignity when she was in such a vulnerable condition; for every procedure and test that day, she wanted me there holding her hand.  In calling me to change my life, God knew what she was doing.

And so I would like to add an encouragement to Trust God, to have faith.  Sometimes the life we were created for, is different from the life we expect and plan for ourselves.  God never calls people to remain stagnant…God never calls us to remain the same.  God seems to always call His people into risk, into uncomfortable situations, often into suffering, but always, always into life, and life to the full.

One last, but very important note on calling I want to say is this: in my experience, some people have what I term, “blind calling,” meaning they live faithful lives to God and the Church, and they never particularly “feel” anything such as calling.  One of the wise women I know, who helped me a lot at St. Philip’s had such an experience.  She told me, she never really felt called to anything in particular, or had an experience of calling.  And yet, she brings joy to everyone around her, she helps when she can, and she is a pillar of the Church.  The Holy Spirit acts how the Holy Spirit acts…sometimes faithfulness does not have the phenomenon of “calling” with it.  It reminds me of a sermon I heard when I was going to Holy Cross Monastery a lot.  There was a priest there, her name was Shane, and she was a Sister.  She was giving a sermon on Calling, which I thought was very fitting for the purpose of me being there.  She said that for those of us who experience the phenomenon of calling, if we are honest, it is born not out of our spiritual accomplishments or enlightenment, rather calling is born out of our brokenness and need for God.  And that if she was a Good Teacher, she too would be calling all her trouble students to the front of the classroom.  That sermon has been invaluable to me…it has always kept me from having a big head when it comes to calling and this process.

So to bring it all together: if you have a tug in your heart, or if you feel you have a calling, or you are not sure what you have, please know you are not alone; Nancy and I are here, we also have a network of people in the Diocese if you have a particular ministry you are interested in exploring.  Also, we have each other…we should feel comfortable talking with each other about our experiences with the Divine.  And lastly, a calling will upend your life, but it is a gift…and not having a calling is also a gift.  In all things, and in all places, let us give thanks to God, who is saving us all despite ourselves.

I always like to close in a prayer…so here we go:

A Prayer for Self-Dedication found in our Book of Common Prayer:


Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to you, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly yours; utterly dedicated unto you.  And then use us, we pray, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people, through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment